Avigilon recommends the creation of an external Avigilon Recovery Package, and to keep it available in case of a software or system emergency requiring recovery of the operating system (OS) and the pre-installed Avigilon Control Center (ACC)™ video management software.
Avigilon recommends the creation of an external Avigilon Recovery Package, and to keep it available in case of a software or system emergency requiring recovery of the operating system (OS) and the pre-installed Avigilon Control Center (ACC)™ video management software. The Avigilon Recovery Package consists of:
- a record of the current version of the ACC software in use,
- a backup of the configuration settings of the Avigilon Control Center (ACC)™ video management software, and
- a bootable Avigilon USB Recovery Device.
These OS System Recovery instructions apply to the following Avigilon products:
Network Video Recorder Servers (NVR4)
HD NVR Premium (HD-NVR4-PRM)
HD NVR Standard (HD-NVR4-STD)
HD Video Appliances [Gen 3] (VMA-AS3)
8-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS3-8P)
16-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS3-16P)
24-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS3-24P)
Network Video Recorder Servers (NVR3)
HD NVR Value (HD-NVR3-VAL)
HD NVR Standard (HD-NVR3-STD)
HD NVR Premium (HD-NVR3-PRM)
HD Video Appliances [Gen 2] (VMA-AS2)
8-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS2-8P)
16-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS2-16P)
24-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS2-24P)
NVR Workstations (NVRWS3) and
Remote Monitoring Workstations (RMWS3)
NVR Workstation (HD-NVRWS3)
Remote Monitoring Workstation (HD-RMWS3-xMN)
HD Video Appliances [Gen 1] (VMA-AS1)
8-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS1-8P)
16-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS1-16P)
24-PORT HDVA (VMA-AS1-24P)
Backup and Maintain Current ACC Configuration Information
Ensure the following information is known to the system administrator of each Avigilon NVR server, workstation, or video appliance:
- The current version of the ACC Server software installed on the device.
- The location of the configuration settings for the ACC Server software for the device.
We recommend you save your ACC configuration settings on the storage disk (typically drive D:) rather than the OS disk. Otherwise, ensure that you always have a current backup of your configuration settings stored in a location accessible to your Avigilon NVR server, workstation, or video appliance.
You can create a backup of your configuration settings using the ACC Client:
- Log into your site using credentials with the right level of privilege (usually, the Administrator account).
- Navigate to [Site Setup] and select your site.
- Click [Backup Settings] in the panel to the right.
- Select the server from which to backup settings.
- Select whether you want to encrypt the backup settings file.
Note: if you encrypt the file, record the password in a secure manner in the event you need to restore the settings.
- Click [OK], browse to the location you want to save the backup file, and click [Save].
Create a Bootable Avigilon USB Recovery Device
Most of the Avigilon Recovery Images include the OS and installers for ACC software. Depending on your connection type, a 20–25 GB download may take a significant amount of time (hours).
The following steps should be performed on a computer running Microsoft Windows with at least 32 GB of free disk space.
- Navigate to the Recovery Image Download Form.
- Fill out the form by providing your email address, global region, Avigilon product name, and version of operating system you intend to recover.
- By submitting the form, you are accepting the End User License Agreement (EULA) and will be emailed a link to the applicable Avigilon Recovery Image.
- Begin downloading the Avigilon Recovery Image to your computer and continue with step 2 below when the download completes.
- Insert a USB storage device with >32 GB of available storage into any USB 2 / USB 3 port.
- From the Windows Start menu, open an Elevated (Administrator) Command Prompt (or Windows PowerShell (Admin), depending on your version of Windows).
Note: the following instructions assume you are using Command Prompt.
- Once the Command Prompt window opens, enter the following commands:
- Type diskpart and press [Enter].
The DISKPART> prompt is displayed.
- Type list disk and press [Enter].
- Type select disk [x] (where [x] is the disk number of your USB storage device).
WARNING: Ensure you select the correct disk! The following commands erase ALL data on the selected disk will no additional warnings!
- Type clean and press [Enter].
- Type create partition primary and press [Enter].
- Type select partition 1 and press [Enter].
- Type active and press [Enter].
- Type format fs=ntfs quick and press [Enter].
Wait until you see DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. before proceeding.
- Type Assign to automatically assign the partition a drive letter.
- Type exit and press [Enter] to close the DiskPart utility and return to the Command Prompt.
- Type exit and press [Enter] to close the Command Prompt window.
- Type diskpart and press [Enter].
- Use a Windows file decompression utility to unzip the Avigilon Recovery Image obtained in step 3 into the root of the USB storage device.
- A directory listing of your USB storage device should look like the following:
- Ensure the Avigilon Recovery Image (.wim file) can be found in the "images" folder on the USB storage device. The name of the image file does not matter, but should reflect the contents of the image.
Your bootable Avigilon USB Recovery Device is now ready. Store this in a secure location with the other external Avigilon Recovery Package items until needed.
Recover the OS Using the Avigilon USB Recovery Device
WARNING: When you perform the recovery, the OS disk is completely erased and restored with the recovery image stored on the bootable Avigilon USB Recovery Device. The ACC software, including any configuration settings stored on the OS disk, are erased. However, no data are deleted, as they are stored on separate hard disks.
Perform the following steps on the failed Avigilon NVR server, workstation, or video appliance ("Avigilon hardware")
- Power off the Avigilon hardware by unplugging the power source.
- Connect a keyboard and monitor to the Avigilon hardware.
- Insert the bootable Avigilon USB Recovery Device you previously created into any USB 2 or USB 3 port.
- Power on the Avigilon hardware by plugging in the power source.
- While on the boot screen, press the applicable key:NVR Servers (NVR4)
Device Type (Model Number) Boot Key NVR Servers (NVR4) [F11] NVR Servers (NVR3) [F11] or [F12] NVR Workstations (NVRWS3) [F11] or [F12] Remote Monitoring Workstations (RMWS3) [F11] or [F12] HD Video Appliances [Gen 3: white] (VMA-AS3) [F12] HD Video Appliances [Gen 2: white] (VMA-AS2) [ESC] HD Video Appliances [Gen 1: black] (VMA-AS1) [F5]
- You should see "Please Wait" until the Boot Menu is displayed.
- From the Boot Menu, select your Avigilon USB Recovery Device as the boot device. This may take a few minutes to load.
- Follow the steps presented in the Avigilon Recovery Console dialog boxes.
- Click [OK] to confirm proceeding with the recovery.
WARNING: After you click OK, the OS drive will be completely erased and the Avigilon hardware will be unusable until the recovery is complete.
- A progress bar displays to indicate recovery progress. The entire recovery process takes about 20 minutes.
- After the recovery is finished, unplug the Avigilon USB Recovery Device and click [OK] to restart the Avigilon hardware.
Download and Install the Correct Version of the ACC Software
The recovered OS disk does not have the ACC software installed. Although some ACC software installers are included on the Avigilon USB Recovery Device, it unlikely that those installers are for the correct ACC software version that matches to the data on your system—unless this is a brand-new system.
WARNING: RISK OF DATA LOSS
- ACC software releases are NOT backward-compatible.
- DO NOT INSTALL any version of the ACC software older than the version in use on the system prior to the disk failure.
- YOU MUST INSTALL the same release of ACC that was in use prior to the disk failure.
The following steps should be performed on a computer running Microsoft Windows with at least 1GB of free disk space
- Navigate to the applicable internet destination using the following links:
- Current ACC software images (website)
- Recent previous ACC software images (FTP site)
- Legacy, unsupported ACC software images(website)
- Locate and download the installer file for the correct ACC software version.
- Copy the downloaded ACC software installer file to a USB storage device.
- Plug the USB storage device into a USB port on the Avigilon NVR server, workstation, or video appliance.
- Copy the ACC software installer file to the root of the OS disk.
- Launch the ACC software installer by double clicking on its icon.
- At the first window of the installation wizard, click [Next] to proceed.
- At the second window, take a minute to read the “License Agreement”.
- Check the option "I accept the terms of the License Agreement" and click [Next].
- Select the install folder and click [Next] to proceed.
Note: we recommend to keep the default install path: "C:\Program Files\Avigilon\Avigilon Control Center Server".
- Select to either install the software for All Users on the computer, or Only You, and click [Next].
- Click [Next] again to start the install.
- After the installation is complete, click [Finish] to exit the installation.
- The ACC server automatically starts and prompts you to log in.
This depends on where your configuration settings were stored:
- Configuration settings on the Storage disk: Enter your usual ID and password.
- Configuration settings on the Operating System disk:
- Log in as user Administrator with no password.
- Select the "Site Setup" menu.
- Select the "Restore Settings" to import the configuration settings backup.
Contact Avigilon for Help
If you have any questions preparing the Avigilon Recovery Package, or during the recovery process, contact us: