Upgrade your Avigilon hardware (NVRs or workstations) to the Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSB operating system (OS) software and the latest version of Avigilon Control Center (ACC) video management software.
The Avigilon Windows 10 Field Upgrade upgrades your Avigilon hardware (network video recorders or workstations) to the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSB operating system software from Microsoft and the latest version of your Avigilon Control Center (ACC) video management software.
The Avigilon Windows 10 Field Upgrade entitles you to receive a downloadable image of the software you need for the upgrade. After purchasing the Avigilon Windows 10 Field Upgrade and receiving a confirmation email with a password-protected link to the Avigilon Windows 10 Field Upgrade download website, use these instructions to upgrade your eligible Avigilon hardware.
These OS upgrade instructions apply to the following Avigilon products:
Network Video Recorder Servers (NVR3)
HD NVR Value (HD-NVR3-VAL)
HD NVR Standard (HD-NVR3-STD)
NVR Workstations (NVRWS3) and
Remote Monitoring Workstations (RMWS3)
NVR Workstation (HD-NVRWS3)
Remote Monitoring Workstation (HD-RMWS3-xMN)
IMPORTANT: Before Using These Instructions
- Call Technical Support and read the entire Upgrade Guide.
- Confirm and note down the current version of the ACC™ software in use at your site.
- Connect to the Avigilon Windows 10 Field Upgrade download website.
- Click the link to review the End User License terms.
- Access the Avigilon Partner Resource Center and access this KB Article: ACC - Supplement to Windows 10 Field Upgrade. Follow the steps in this document to avoid issues. Contact Avigilon Technical Support for assistance.
Overview of the Steps to Complete the Upgrade
- Save a backup of ACC configuration settings in use on the system on the data drive of the system, a shared location, or secured offline media if you don’t already have one.
- Accept the End User License terms, download the Windows 10 field upgrade image, create a bootable USB storage device, and decompress the downloaded image file onto the bootable USB storage device.
- Install the latest version of your ACC software on the system, using the appropriate installer for your licensed version on the bootable USB storage device.
- Make a backup of the configuration settings of the updated ACC software (either on a shared location or secured offline media).
- Upgrade the Microsoft EMBEDDED WINDOWS 7 operating system software to the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSB operating system software on each eligible system.
- Re-install the latest version of your ACC software on the system, using the appropriate installer for your licensed version on the bootable USB storage device.
- Restore the configuration settings of the updated ACC software (from either the shared location or secured offline media).
Instructions to complete each step appear below.
1. Backup Current ACC Configuration Information
Ensure the following information is known to the system administrator of each Avigilon device:
- The current version of the ACC Server software installed on the device.
- The location of the backup of the configuration settings for the ACC Server software for the system. The backup must not be stored on the operating system (OS) disk (typically drive C:).
TIP: Always save your ACC configuration settings on the storage disk (typically drive D:) rather than the OS disk. The contents of the OS disk are completely erased during the upgrade process. Otherwise, ensure that you always have a current backup of your configuration settings stored in a location accessible to your Avigilon device.
If you don’t already store your configuration settings on the storage drive, create a backup of your configuration settings on the storage disk of the system, or the bootable USB storage device, using the ACC Client:
- Log into your site using credentials with the right level of privilege (usually, the Administrator account).
- Navigate to [Site Setup] and select your site.
- Click [Backup Settings] in the panel to the right.
- Select the server from which to backup settings.
- Select whether you want to encrypt the backup settings file.
Note: if you encrypt the file, record the password in a secure manner in the event you need to restore the settings.
- Click [OK], browse to the location you want to save the backup file, and click [Save].
2. Create a Bootable Avigilon USB Upgrade Device
All of the Avigilon Upgrade Images include installers for the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSB operating system from Microsoft and the latest version of the ACC Release 6 and ACC Release 5.10 software from Avigilon. Depending on your connection type, a 20–25 GB download may take a significant amount of time (hours).
The following steps should be performed on a computer running Microsoft Windows with at least 32 GB of free disk space, with the Avigilon Windows 10 Field Upgrade download website open in a web browser.
- Agree to the license agreement.
- Download the Avigilon Upgrad corresponding to your Avigilon hardware:
Device Type (Model Number) Image Filename NVR Value (NVR3-VAL) r330.w10e NVR Standard (NVR3-STD) r730xd-std.w10e NVR Workstation (NVRWS3) t3620.w10e
- Insert a USB storage device with >32 GB of available storage into any USB 2 / USB 3 port.
- From the Windows Control Panel, open Computer Management and navigate to Storage » Disk Management. Identify the disk number of the USB storage device you inserted.
- From the Windows Start menu, open an Elevated (Administrator) Command Prompt (or Windows PowerShell (Admin), depending on your version of Windows).
Note: the following instructions assume you are using Command Prompt.
- Once the Command Prompt window opens, enter the following commands:
Type diskpart and press [Enter].
The DISKPART> prompt is displayed.
Type list disk and press [Enter].
Type select disk [x] (where [x] is the disk number of your USB storage device).
WARNING: Ensure you select the correct disk! The following commands erase ALL data on the selected disk will no additional warnings!
Type clean and press [Enter].
Type rescan and press [Enter].
Type create partition primary and press [Enter].
Type active and press [Enter].
Type format fs=ntfs quick and press [Enter].
Wait until you see
DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.
Type exit and press [Enter] to close the DiskPart utility and return to the Command Prompt.
Type exit and press [Enter] to close the Command Prompt window.
- Use a Windows file decompression utility to unzip the Avigilon Upgrade Image obtained in step 2 into the root of the USB storage device.
- A directory listing of your USB storage device should look like the following:
- Ensure the Avigilon Upgrade Image (.wim file) can be found in the "images" folder on the USB storage device. The name of the image file does not matter, but should reflect the contents of the image.
Your bootable Avigilon USB Upgrade Device is now ready.
Installers for the latest versions of the ACC Release 6 and Release 5.10 are provided in the field upgrade image on the USB device. Optionally, you can copy the installers for the latest versions of the ACC software to a separate (non-bootable) USB device so that you can update the ACC software separately from upgrading the operating system.
3. Install the Latest Version of the ACC Software
On your system, update the ACC software release (either ACC 6 or ACC 5) to the latest version of the same release before upgrading the Windows operating system. You must also re-install the same ACC software release and version after the upgrade to Windows 10.
WARNING: RISK OF DATA LOSS
- ACC software releases are not backward-compatible.
- DO NOT INSTALL any version of the ACC software that is older than the version that was in use on the system prior to the OS upgrade.
- YOU MUST INSTALL the same release of ACC that was in use prior to the OS upgrade.
- DO NOT UPGRADE to the ACC Release 6 software if ACC Release 6.10 is installed on the device.
On the device you are planning to upgrade to the new Windows operating system:
- Connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse if these are not already present.
- Plug the USB device into a USB port on the appliance.
- Copy the appropriate ACC_<version number>_launcher folder to the root of the OS disk.
- Double-click AvigilonControlCentre.exe to launch the installer.
- If you are prompted to allow the installer to run on the device, click Yes.
- At the first window of the installation wizard, click Control Center Server. Wait for the contents of the setup package to be verified.
- Click Next to step though the installation wizard until the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT is displayed. Take a minute to read the “License Agreement”.
- Check the option I accept the term of the License Agreement and click Next.
- You are asked to choose the install folder. We recommend to keep the default install path:
C:\Program Files\Avigilon\Avigilon Control Center Server
Click Next to proceed.
- Choose if you want to install the server for all users on the computer, or only you, then click Next.
- Click Next again to start the install.
- After the installation is complete, click Finish to exit the installation.
- The ACC server automatically starts and prompts you to log in.
This depends on where your configuration settings were stored:
- Configuration settings on the Storage disk: Enter your usual ID and password.
- Configuration settings on the Avigilon USB Upgrade Device:
- Log in as user Administrator with no password.
- Select the "Site Setup" menu.
- Select the "Restore Settings" to import the configuration settings backup.
4. Backup Updated ACC Configuration Information
After the ACC Server software is updated to the latest version, make a copy of updated ACC configuration settings if they are not already saved on the system’s storage drive. Use the procedure in Backup Current ACC Configuration information.
5. Upgrade to Windows 10 Using the Avigilon USB Upgrade Device
WARNING: When you perform the upgrade, the OS disk is completely erased and replaced with the image stored on the bootable Avigilon USB Upgrade Device. The ACC software, including any configuration settings stored on the OS disk, are erased. However, no data are deleted, as they are stored on separate hard disks.
Perform the following steps on the device with the OS to be upgraded:
- Connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse if these are not already present.
- From the Start menu, shut down the Avigilon device.
- Insert the bootable Avigilon USB Upgrade Device you previously created into any USB 2 or USB 3 port.
- Power on the Avigilon hardware.
- While on the boot screen, press the applicable key:
Device Type (Model Number) Boot Key NVR Servers (NVR3) [F11] NVR Workstations (NVRWS3) [F12] Remote Monitoring Workstations (RMWS3) [F12]
- You should see "Please Wait" until the Boot Menu is displayed.
From the Boot Menu, select your Avigilon USB Upgrade Device as the boot device. This may take a few minutes to load.
Follow the steps presented in the Avigilon Management Console dialog boxes.
Click [OK] to confirm proceeding with the upgrade.
WARNING: After you click OK, the OS drive will be completely erased and the Avigilon hardware will be unusable until the upgrade is complete.
A progress bar displays to indicate upgrade progress. The entire upgrade process takes about 20 minutes.
After the upgrade is finished, unplug the Avigilon USB Upgrade Device and click [OK] to restart the Avigilon hardware.
6. Re-install the Latest Version of the ACC Software
The upgraded OS disk does not have the ACC software installed. Repeat the procedure in 3. Install the Latest Version of the ACC Software.
Contact Avigilon for Help
If you have any questions preparing the Avigilon Recovery Package, or during the recovery process, contact us: